Marriage License Questions? Click Here To Speak To Rev. Louis Right Now at 1-888-886-6075

Utah Marriage License Requirements

Below is the information on what you need to bring with you, and what you need to know about the marriage laws before filling out the marriage license forms.

In order to get married, you need to apply and receive a marriage license. This is the document that allows you to officially be married under the law. Always check with your city's marriage bureau at your clerk of court's office to find out what your local rules are.

Licenses are usually not valid for more than 30 days so you'll typically need to apply for your marriage license within one month of your wedding ceremony. You need to submit your birth certificates, tax information, and other official documents.

When you apply for your license, you'll not only need a proof of identification and age, will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a nominal fee. You will also need to have a witness when you sign the application, so plan on bringing your maid of honor or best man with you. The bride will need to know what her married name will be before she signs the marriage certificate. You'll have to write that name on the application.

IMPORTANT: You are not officially married when you receive a marriage license. You need to have a justice of the peace or a religious clergyman sign the document. On your wedding day, you'll give your officiant your marriage license, then after the ceremony, he'll sign it and send it to the proper government agency for validation.

ID Requirement: Picture ID such as a driver's license. If application is mailed or faxed in, it must be witnessed by a Notary Public.

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Utah.

Waiting Period: 3 days.

If Divorced: If divorced within the last 60 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.

Fees: Cash Only! $25

Other Tests: No tests

Under 18: Need certified copy of birth certificate, both parents must be present with identification, or if you have a legal guardian they must be present with a court order and identification.

Officiants: The minister, priest or rabbi of any church or congregation in the state may perform marriages. Ministers must provide marriage certificates to the couple married and report the marriage to the Marriage Commissioner.

Valid: License is valid for 90 days anywhere in Utah.
The license can only be used within the State of Utah.


IMPORTANT: State and county marriage license requirements can change so make sure you check with your local town clerk. This information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any plans.

Beaver County Recorder 105 E Center Beaver, UT 84713 435-438-6480
Box Elder County Recorder 1 South Main St Brigham City, UT 84302 435-734-2031
Cache County Recorder 179 North Main Logan, UT 84321 435-716-7150
Carbon County Recorder 120 E Main St Price, UT 84501 801-637-4700
Daggett County Recorder P.O. Box 218 Manila, UT 84046 435-784-3154
Davis County Recorder P.O. Box 618 Farmington, UT 84025 801-451-3213
Duchesne County Recorder 734 N Center St Duchesne, UT 84021 435-738-2437
Emery County Recorder P.O. Box 698 Castle Dale, UT 84513 435-381-5106
Garfield County Recorder P.O. Box 77 Panguitch, UT 84759 435-676-8826
Grand County 125 E Center St Moab, UT 84532 435-259-1321
Iron CountyCounty Recorders P.O. Box 506 Parowan, UT 84761 435-477-8340
Juab County Recorder 160 N Main St Nephi, UT 84648 435-623-0271
Kane County Recorder 76 N Main #14 Kanab, UT 84741 435-644-2458
Millard County Recorder 50 S Main St Filmore, UT 84631 435-743-6223
Morgan County Recorder P.O. Box 886 Morgan, UT 84050 801-829-6811
Piute County Recorder P.O. Box 116 Junction, UT 54740 801-577-2505
Rich County Recorder P.O. Box 322 Randolph, UT 84064 435-793-2415
Salt Lake County RecorderGovernment Center 2001 South State St, # N 1600 Salt Lake City, UT 84190 801-468-3425
San Juan County Recorder P.O. Box 789 Monticello, UT 84535 435-587-3223
Sanpete County Recorder 160 North Main St Manti, UT 84642 435-835-2131
Sevier County Recorder 250 N Main St Richfield, UT 84701 435-896-9262
Summit County Recorder P.O. Box 128 Coalville, UT 84017 435-783-4351
Tooele County Recorder 47 South Main Tooele, UT 84074 435-882-5550
Uintah County Recorder 147 E Main St Vernal, UT 84078 435-781-0770
Utah County Recorder100 East Center, Room 1300 County Building Provo, UT 84606 801-370-8109
Wasatch County Recorder 25 North Main Heber City, UT 84032 435-654-3211
Washington County Recorder 197 East Tabernacle St George, UT 84770 435-634-5712
Wayne County Recorder 18 S. Main St Loa, UT 84747 435-836-2731
Weber County Recorder 2380 Washington Blvd Fl 3 Ogden, UT 84401 801-399-8400